Monday, December 14, 2009

Th1rteen R3asons Why

Clearly I spend the vast majority of my free time working on Fable Bay. But when I have done all I can do, or am feeling burned out, I always love to turn to a good book. Lately, with the holiday season, I have not read in weeks! For me that's like an eternity. :P

Last night I picked up a book I've had sitting, collecting dust, for a couple months. Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. This novel is written for young adults, but has a gripping tragic story that sets it apart from trendy bubblegum stories teen novels often take. This book is written about a very taboo topic, but it's gritty and intense and 100% suspenseful.



Hannah Baker is a teenager in a small to medium sized town, who faces struggles many teens do. She is subject to ridicule and degraded by her peers, has acquired an unearned reputation, and her life has fallen apart. Hannah chronicles on audio tape, her 13 reasons why she has decided to kill herself. The tapes are delivered to the 13 people who played leading roles in these events. In the days and weeks following her death these individuals will learn how their actions affected her world.

Our perspective is Clay, #9 on her list of 13. In Thirteen Reasons Why, we follow along as Clay travels the town listening to Hannah's explanation for her decision to commit suicide, and to learn the role he played in her decision.

I read this novel in 4 hours. I could not put it down. It's heart breaking and controversial subject is intense and very real. I recommend it to you, although I realize the topic is hardly cheery, I think most will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment